A foggy misty morning greeted the anglers that attended the October 16th Fish With a Member (FWAM) event down on the delayed harvest section of the South River.
The South River flows through Waynesboro, Virginia and is the home water of SVTU. The best flyfishing is in the delayed harvest section in downtown Waynesboro. From October 1 throught June 1, this is a catch & release only fishery. If you are looking for a put-and-take section, head to Ridgeview Park.Don’t let the fact that this is an urban fishery put you off. The South River gets tremendous hatches all year. Of special note is the sulphur hatch that begins in the evening from April to June. There is also a terrific trico hatch from May through July. Midges and BWOs keep the fish rising all winter.The most popular section is right in downtown Waynesboro in Constitution Park. There are a series of easily identified structures that SVTU put in with VDGIF. Fish the pools and riffles below these structures, especially the fast water and the transitions between faster and slower water. Another popular section is just a bit upstream. Behind the YMCA there’s a nice new parking lot and a blacktop path that goes all the way to Constitution Park.
- Tommy and Kevin of the South River Fly Shop put in some nice fish 14-20” range during a recent private stocking
- Jim Grogan had a lifetime record day on the river he caught 9 trout out of one hole ranging from 12-18’ with a couple of 20”
- Steve Allen had a good day with 5 fish out of one hole ranging from 12-18”
- Tom Benzing, and Dan Short from the Madison fishers and Richard Foust fished the upper portion and caught a few nice holdovers and some fall fish
- The fly of the day for Jim Grogan was a Peach wolly Bugger and golden retriever
What’s a more fitting end to fall fly fishing than a locally famed burger? The group went to the Tailgate Grill for lunch where everyone agreed it is the best burger in the valley.